Here we will explore the basic functions of the system. Mostly we will identify the main elements and options for the calculation of the risk. The Riskan organizes information in the form of a tree of objects, to the left side, where each object contains information and commands.
The central area of the Riskan window contains the results or information about the selected object. When you start Riskan it will show an empty map. The results area can be viewed in a number of modes, depending on the selected object. To change the view mode, use the tabs below the results area.
Before we can proceed in the elaborating a risk analysis, is recommended that the user gets familiar with the main elements of Riskan.
- Object tree - Where all elements of the analysis are shown and can be selected
- Results area - Where Riskan will presents information and simulation results
- Menu - With options and functions
Risk analysis script
To execute a risk analysis, you must execute a number of tasks. Of course, depending in which type of analysis you are performing, some of these tasks are not necessary or other tasks may be needed. We will show the tasks for the quantitative risk analysis.
Before using Riskan, you have to select the accidental hypothesis for your target plant using PHA, HAZOP or FMEA techniques. You must also, estimate the expected frequency of occurrence of these hypothesis, using reliability engineering techniques. These are all input data for Riskan and are not calculated within the program.
- Defining the map - You must find and load a aerial orthogonal photo or blue print of your region of interest
- Defining atmospheric conditions - Data about temperature, wind direction and speed, and other meteorological data are necessary for the risk calculation
- Defining populations - If you are calculating the social risk, you must inform where there is people in the region of interest and how many they are
- Simulating accidents - Run one or more mathematical models to estimate the damage resulting from each initial event
- Calculating the risks - Execute the risk calculation, generating the social risk and individual risk for your target plant
- Generating the reports - Get information from Riskan to write the appropriate safety report
After you are familiar to the basic operation, you can proceed to the advanced functions of Riskan, which may be helpful in a number of situations.